Friday, March 30, 2012

Inspiration Friday: Mamma Mia!


I have a confession.

I'm totally obsessed with Mamma Mia.

Yes, that Mamma Mia.

source

The one with Meryl Streep & Colin Firth & Amanda Seyfreid & Greece & um...Pierce Brosnan. 

All singing ABBA songs. 

I just can't help myself guys. I love it.

Here are a few reasons....

1.  Decor. 

I read somewhere that you should watch this movie on mute and then you'll love it. It's just so pretty! And kind of makes you want to move to a Greek island. 
  • blue & white
  • plants
  • water- fountains, the sea
  • candles & twinkle lights

source


  • patterns - on towels, bedding, curtains, etc. 
  • light
  • I even love all the sparkly scenes & suddenly feel that I really need a little more glitter in my life. 
source
2. Female relationships. 

I love how totally open the women in this movie are- with themselves & others. Yes, I know this movie is based on songs by ABBA, so they are obviously portraying extremes. But I love the idea. 

These women scream when they're excited, cry & run away when they're sad, & tell each other exactly how they're feeling, even when it's not always nice. They are super close and supportive and they know how to have fun together, which brings me to point #3...

source
3. Fun. 

Seriously. Meryl Streep does a toe touch in this film. They dance, sing, laugh, and wear sometimes insane clothes. 
Because as Dr. Suess would say, "These things are fun, and fun is good." 

Seriously though, this movie always makes me think, I really need to lighten up and just have fun (plus, you never know when a feather boa might come in handy!)

source
3. Style

Don't even get me started. Oh wait...

  • deceptively simple outfits
  • lots of blue & white plus the occasional 70s bellbottom pantsuit. 
  • wavy hair & barrettes.
  • dresses & skirts.

source

  • fun jewelry (necklaces, rings, anklets)
  • That cowboy hat!
  • I've noticed they actually wear fairly not-simple outfits (lots of jewelry, patterns, etc.) but in a very simple- just walk out of the house- way. I love it. 
  • They don't always wear things that look perfect on them (see above picture of Amanda Seyfreid: no offense, but the swimsuit/white skirt combination is weird. But I still love it). This works because of the next point: 
  • Confidence. Amanda Seyfreid spends an entire montage wandering around the island in a one-piece swimsuit. When was the last time you even felt comfortable wearing a swimsuit by the pool? Confidence goes pretty far. 
source

So you've got the simple "I grew up on this Greek Island" clothes and then the "my mom was a hippie/ABBA singer" clothes. 

  • bellbottoms
  • sequins
  • sparkly shoes 
  • blue eyeshadow
  • feather boas
  • platform shoes
  • going all out. 
Come on, guys, those scenes are awesome. 

source
4. Lightening Up. 

When I found out a good friend of mine also liked this movie, I said "No way! I love it! But everyone I talk to hates it cause it's so crazy." 

She said, "Anyone who says that is just taking themselves too seriously." 

I concur. Let's lighten up. 

source

5. Meryl Streep

Yes, I know that Pierce Brosnan sings in this movie, and I agree: it's a travesty. It shouldn't have happened. 

But can we just all contemplate for a moment how awesome Meryl Streep is? She can basically play anyone, and I love that she chose this film. 

source
She dances, sings, and wears overalls and a cowboy hat. 

The woman can do no wrong.


source


6. That scene with the scarf.

Ok. If you still hate this movie, you have to at least give me this one: the scene where Meryl Streep sings The Winner Takes It All is Just. So. Amazing.

source

7. Dancing Queen. 

Who doesn't love some ABBA? And 2+ hours of ABBA songs + Meryl on a Greek Island sounds like a good time to me. 

4 comments:

Adrianne said... Reply To This Comment

YES!!! Love this post, Jenny! You point out so many wonderful details and aspects of this movie. So much fun - Mama Mia all the way!

GLENDA CHILDERS said... Reply To This Comment

I have never seen this movie. Let's watch it soon.

kate said... Reply To This Comment

good post but you should've included more about Colin. That's my favourite thing about Mama Mia!

Anonymous said... Reply To This Comment

[p]Q

[url=http://preview.shopbuycheap.com/A0073101206]They are beautiful store statement made ugg boots8m[/url]
[url=http://dulwichonview.org.uk/2012/10/01/waste-and-recycling-wonder-open-day-is-anything-but-rubbish/]we are beautiful store statement made discount ugg2h[/url]
[url=http://blog.topman.com/2011/10/2-to-the-power-10-at-the-orange-dot-gallery.html?cid=6a011168a6832e970c017d3e57ebd6970c#comments]They are beautiful shop online statement made ugg boots2n[/url]

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...