Monday, March 5, 2012

Playing Dress Up, Step #5: Putting Together Outfits


 I have to tell you, it took me awhile to figure out what I was going to say for this one! I'm pretty hesitant to tell you how to put an outfit together. Part of me wants to just say: be creative! wear what you like! But that's probably not super helpful. So, here are just a few ideas on putting together outfits you like. I promise I won't tell you that a black blazer goes with everything (unless you want it to!)

#1 Wear a uniform. 


The idea here is to find the idea of an outfit you like and then just stick with it. Do you love jeans and t-shirts? You could have a white v-neck, patterned long sleeve shirts, black crew neck t-shirts and wear them with different kinds of jeans. Or if you love wearing printed skirts and cardigans, get some in different colours and just mix them up. Easy, right? Here are a few people who do the uniform thing really well:

Charlotte Gainsbourg i.e. French woman extraordinaire (hi, look at her hair).

She basically wears straight leg jeans, cowboy boots, and a t-shirt/blazer all the time. And she always looks great.
Charlotte Gainsbourg


Charlotte Gainsbourg

Anna Wintour i.e. Editor of Vogue/ The Devil Who Wears Prada

I'm definitely not telling you to be like her, but if you look at pictures of her, you'll see she knows what she likes. Always the same haircut and she often wears printed dresses and open-toe heels.
Anna Wintour


Anna Wintour
Moment of honesty: I don't really do this idea at all. But I love the idea of finding what you are comfortable and look good in and sticking with it. I'll try this and get back to you!

#2 Copy an outfit

This is a fun way to use what you have. Take an outfit from Pinterest, a catalogue or a magazine and try to recreate it with items you already have in your closet. Example: I saved lots of pictures of girls in shorter skirts and big sweaters, so I went to my closet and came up with this (I'm the one on the right, ha ha):
Dasha Zhukova
Yours truly



#3 Wear one piece multiple ways

Fashion bloggers in general are so great at this. Take one item from your closet and try to come up with at least 5 different ways to wear it. No more wearing the same sweater with the same jeans every day. Try wearing the sweater with a skirt, buttoned over a dress, under a jacket, or with a long shirt and leggings. 

What Would A Nerd Wear is a great example of this (surprise!). The picture below shows how something odd (a bright orange skirt) can be really versatile. 
What Would a Nerd Wear



#4 Simple/ Complicated

Another thing I like to do when putting together an outfit is to either go really simple or really complicated (I usually land on complicated). 

Simple: black pants, striped shirt, one necklace. Walk out the door. 


La Mariniere


Complicated: Multiple patterns and colours, layers, a scarf, sunglasses, stacks of bracelets on both arms. 

Toast UK


I would love to hear your ideas on putting together outfits! 

It's been lots of fun writing this series; I hope you've enjoyed it as well. Thanks for all your awesome comments! 



5 comments:

Adrianne said... Reply To This Comment

I'm inspired now. It's time to play dress up from my closet! One problem I run into with putting together outfits is that I LOVE wearing skirts, but I don't have many tops that go well with the skirts that I own. I will have to play around with what I have, and perhaps make a shopping trip with this in mind.

Thanks for this series, Jenny! Everyone who doesn't know about or read your blog is missing out.

GLENDA CHILDERS said... Reply To This Comment

Your series was wonderful ... STRONG WORK.

Fondly,
Glenda

Renee said... Reply To This Comment

i said aloud "yeah!" when I saw you had a new post!
thanks for the great ideas!
miss you
renee

kate said... Reply To This Comment

I love this. Another great example of 'the uniform' is Kathleen Kelly.

Fantastic Series.

GLENDA CHILDERS said... Reply To This Comment

Yeah ... I don't have to try and type two words that I can't even read ... just to leave you a comment.

Strong work.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...