Friday, January 28, 2011

Inspiration Friday: The Right Side of My Brain

I have been drawing like a madwoman. It started when I picked up A Life of Style by Rebecca Moses...which is about style, but has these great little drawings...
I thought- fun! I should make a book like that. So I bought a sketchbook, and did a few pages with little drawings and captions. But then I just got into the drawing part of it. So I picked up this book again:
The Creative License by Danny Gregory is one of my favorite books on creativity. And if you don't draw and want to learn- even if you think you can't! you should pick up this book.

Now I'm reading Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain. I may be 30 years behind the times, but this book is awesome! The basic premise is that drawing (a 'right brain' activity) is a skill, just like reading or math ('left brain' activities), only around adolescence, we stop learning how to draw. (ps. you can still learn!)

So, this week I've been inspired by 3 books to use the right side of my brain, and draw what I see around me...
Note: If you need a little work/study break, but don't have the time to start a sketchbook, you should check out this awesome sketching tool.
I'll warn you though, it's slightly addicting, so pour yourself (or draw yourself!) a cup of tea, set the timer while you sketch, then (if you have to), you can get back to using the left side of your brain.

3 comments:

GLENDA CHILDERS said... Reply To This Comment

I always love your drawings and your creativity, Jenny. But when I ask for a cup of tea, I want you to bring me a real one . . . before you get your sketch book out and draw one. :)

mum

Carrie said... Reply To This Comment

oooh... love the brick building... so pretty! I love drawing architecture, but always felt that if it wasn't super interesting, that my drawing wouldn't be, either. Then a teacher told me to start drawing anything... staplers, scissors etc... made a world of difference... there truly is beauty (and something to learn about drawing and art!) in just about anything :)

From the Kitchen said... Reply To This Comment

Hi Jenny: I came over from you mother's blog because I LOVE the mixed media collage that you've done for her give away in honor of her birthday. Alas, I am not an artist but an appreciator. I'm looking forward to seeing more of what you do.

For now, stay in and safe. We are in for a "wild ride". Just heard they closed Lake Shore Drive!!

Best,
Bonnie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...